Monday, March 23, 2009

Bright, Inviting Office

I love my new office! The final touches have been done and I am calling the office complete. Chad may think that I rarely call things complete and he may be right about little touches here and there, but for right now, the office is done.

The natural light in this room is something everyone needs in an office. It has a huge window that opens right up to our backyard where I can spy the boys digging, jumping, playing, exploring, imagining, and yes, fighting. I wanted a color that really played on this natural light and with the help of my husband, we found the right hue to go in our now cheerful office.

When looking at your house now or when house hunting, look beyond the dull and dark and horrible wallpaper. For me the draw to this room was the window. Find what you do like and then run with it. Some may not like my choice of color, but just come visit me on a sunny afternoon and you'll feel just as drawn to be in my office as I do - and that's hard to do in an workspace.
BEFORE: There were three different wallpapers. - textured on top and plaid on the bottom with a hunting border in between the two. Maybe they were trying to play on the dark green carpet. And oh the sad place for the desk - blocking the window!?


AFTER: We removed the wallpaper and replaced the carpet. The baby blue countertops that were replaced in the kitchen were primed and repainted white and steel legs were added. Now there's room for kid's art/drawing and both computers and the room still feels, well... roomy.



The built in dresser was painted as it had a medium-toned stain and we put new hardware on. We even managed to find a nice space for Chad to paint. Now he just needs more time and for people to unlearn the fact that he designs and edits.

4 comments:

Aubrey said...

You guys do good work--I would never have thought to repurpose old countertops like that. Or, I would havethought of doing something with them, though how or what exactly would have eluded me. It looks good--I like your guys' style. That's a cool yellow-orange to put in their.

The Sorensen Bunch said...

I wish that I could click on your photos to get a more up-close shot of what is on yourshelves and all the little details of each room--you guys have REALLy outdone yourselves. How do you know how to do all this in a good quality (i.e.-my paint jobs are NOT as nice)
I feel so bad about biggest loser editing. I have been so tempte to call and say forget about it! Thanks for sacrificing your paint time for my fatness.

Alex said...

I LOVE THE COLOR...Pink maybe would have been better....BUT...I do really really love the yellow! Amazing job!

Sherri said...

You guys are awesome!! I really wish you would come over and do some work here..... hehehe...