Tuesday, December 2, 2008

All I Want for Christmas

So I had to blog this conversation that I just had in the car with Kayden. He's been having a rough time trying to figure out what to ask Santa for. So we were driving home from having lunch with Chad today and he says, "Mom, I know what I want to ask Santa for!"

"What?" I say

He responds, "A device that can change your DNA, not forever, but for a little bit so that I can become a dinosaur any time I want."

"You think Santa could get you that? It doesn't even exist."

"Oh yeah, I can ask Santa for anything! Have you ever asked him for something that doesn't exist? He could get it for you." I myself am not very imaginative in relation to him or my husband and the thought obviously never occurred to me, so he tells me that this year I should ask him for something that doesn't really exist.

We sit in silence for a while and I can still see the wheels spinning in his head and then he suddenly says, "Santa isn't real anyway." Of course I have to come back with the pat answer, "If you don't believe, he won't bring you anything." And he just responds that he's magical and that people just dress up to look like Santa.

Curse ye Kindergarten! I believed until I was 11 and the magic is still strong even today. Five years old is way too young to stop believing. So as I speak, the two youngest are sleeping and Kayden is watching the movie, The Santa Clause. He's telling me from the other room that the reindeer look like animation, but I have to make the magic last a little longer!

---------------------------------------

On a different note, here's pictures of our finished living room (the lighting makes our walls look yellow, but they're really tan):

4 comments:

Alex said...

I cant believe he said that. He is clever, but stanta's not real....COME ON!!!!!! Your living room looks SO good. I cant wait to see it in 3 weeks!!!!

Unknown said...

I love you babe! I don't know how you do it all...

Laurel Nelson said...

Oh I love that conversation...he sounds a lot like my daughter, especially with the dinosaurs. How said that kindergarten ruined Santa for him. I'm like you - don't remember when I stopped believing...oh sure I know he doesn't exist, but the magic so strong every year that I keep hoping maybe just maybe...
and BTW, my daughter is watching The Santa Clause too! She loves watching that turkey catch fire.

Sherri said...

Oh --- I hope I keep the majic with Micayla going!!