Thursday, July 9, 2009

Passing of My Beloved Grandfather

Last night the world said goodbye to a great man. He had not won any major awards or been in any major office, but he was great in the sight of many - especially his family.

George William Snow, my grandfather, passed away after suffering through years of his body losing functionality. His passing was peaceful and he led a full life. Death is never easy, but everyone seemed to have the chance to say goodbye, phone or in person. I thought in honor of his passing that I'd write up a few of my memories of him.


He was a hard worker. He bought a business when he moved his young family to Oregon and really made it his own and grew it.

Not only did he work in his business, but he had the best garden and spent nearly every evening caring for it and his yard. He enjoyed it.

He loved family and was devoted to them. My mom always talks of how they went water skiing every weekend in the summer as an entire family and he continued to do that even with grandkids. There were always family events and family outings.

He strived to go to each of his kids and grandkids events and be one of the loudest to cheer. He was one of my biggest fans. He and/or my grandma would travel to nearly all my away games with my parents for any sport and he even came to follow me for 18 holes during state championship for golf.

He made me feel special and I know he did to many others. He had nicknames for most of us and each time we saw him would encircle us with his long arms and have a warm smile.

When I worked at the cleaners during the slow summer afternoons, he'd stop by for a while just to chat and listen and tell me stories or growing up or war time. He'd do the same while I was painting his house one summer. He would just sit and chit and chat and of course tell me if I made a mistake, but in his teasing tone.

While in little league, he would take me out to the baseball fields by his home and spend hours hitting me grounders and fly balls. Or he would take me to the pitching wall and just stand in the background while I practiced, offering advice as needed.

He was a dear friend. Someone that I knew loved me no matter what happened. He will always hold a special place in my heart, not for necessarily extraordinary things, but for the little things that he continuously did to show his love. Besides, like they say in the movie "UP", it's the boring things we seem to enjoy the most.

I will be excited to see him when my time comes and know that he'll encircle me once again, calling me 'Bethy' with that soft smile.

Thanks for the memories, for spending time with me and each family member, for being an example of how to work hard and for truly loving and experiencing!

3 comments:

John and Cara said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa Beth! He sounds like an amazing man. I'm glad you have so many memories to cherish of him. We'll pray for you and your family. We love you!

The Sorensen Bunch said...

Oh Beth-- I am sorry for your earthly loss. I read all your memories and got teary-eyed and he is not even my grandpa. The world will miss a wonderful presence like him! I am glad you got to say good-bye!

Leah Schiffer said...

Such beautiful heartfelt words. Grandpa was an amazing man and such a good example. I will miss him but look forward to seeing him again.